You’ve probably heard that proper amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in your pet’s diet can help promote healthy skin and coat.
But what exactly are fatty acids?
Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, are those fatty acids that a species requires that it can’t make from other sources. Linoleic acid is an example of an EFA for dogs, and cats require both linoleic and arachidonic EFAs.
Fatty acids are further grouped into categories including omega-3 and omega-6, each with its specific biochemical structure. While both are needed for optimum health, each works differently in the body.
What Does Fish Oil Do?
Sufficient amounts of fatty acids, with the correct ratio of omega-3 and omega-6, are known to help prevent the following conditions (some conditions may also be treated with therapeutic levels of the right fatty acids):
- Dry, dull, brittle, itchy skin and hair-coat.
- Inflammatory processes from any source.
- Allergies, immune system dysfunctions-especially autoimmune conditions, and related diseases, such as arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, diabetes, asthma, and ulcerative colitis, may respond to proper amounts of dietary omega-3s.
- Yeast infections can be slowed.
- Visual acuity and heart conditions may be improved.
- Omega-3s have been shown to slow the growth of some cancers.
- Fish oils decrease the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Correct weight-a proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can actually help prevent obesity.
- Many mental conditions (in humans) respond favourably to increased levels of omega-3s.
What you choose to feed your cherished pet is one of the most important decisions you can make. We are dedicated to upholding the highest standards of nutritional integrity and food safety, and it’s why we make every Performadog Premium Performance bag in Australia, using some of the best manufacturing systems in the world. To assure our quality, our factory, ingredients, processes and foods meet the strictest standards, and our ingredient suppliers are approved and audited by the Australian Government Department of Agriculture.
Our Production and Quality Assurance Teams apply strict and rigorous standards
At all stages of production and preparation, we utilise both Good Manufacturing Principals — a worldwide system for the control and management of manufacturing and quality testing of foods, and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point Analysis (HACCP) — an internationally recognised and systematic preventive approach to food safety. Our fresh regional ingredients truly meet the AAFCO definition for ‘fresh” and standards.
Our quality management systems extend well beyond our factory going forward to our distributor partners and back to our ingredient suppliers, who we know and trust. All meat ingredients are approved by the Australia Government and produced exclusively from animals classified ‘fit for human consumption.’
Our fresh meats are produced within our region in dedicated, approved human grade facilities.
Fatty acids are an important factor for your pet’s overall health. Either as a regular part of your pet’s diet or as a supplement, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids together provide a natural way to alleviate or cure skin and other conditions, while being key to developing and maintaining a healthy coat.
Our Promise Is Simple
To supply the very best dog and cat food, made with the highest standards to enhance health, longevity and the prevention of disease.